Thursday, May 13, 2010

Where did last year go?

I love to watch my little girl exploring her surroundings.  I don't think she would ever come inside if we didn't make her.  To see her now amazes me that she is only 14 months old.  It was just a little over a year ago that she was in that "sleep, eat, poop" stage.  When people comment about how quickly that first year goes by, they are not kidding.  Part of me does miss being able to just hold my daughter while she was nursing/napping.  Now I am lucky if I get to cuddle with her for more than a minute before she starts to wiggle like a worm.  For anyone still at this stage, make sure you take all the time you want to just hold your son/daughter, and make sure you let yourself just be in that moment.  While we are still getting up in the middle of the night once in a while (last night was unfortunately one of those long nights -separation anxiety?), I certainly do not  miss having to sleep in 2 to 3 hour intervals as the first several months seemed to bring.  Who would miss that?  I also remember how excited I would get whenever she would learn a new skill like grabbing onto her rattle or learning she could move the mirror on her floor gym, or even how shocked I was when she let go of her walker to walk to her daddy the first day I taught her how to use it.  At least she enjoys pushing it around now as she loads it up with all her important possessions (sippy cup, dolly, books, and pillows).  However, even though I do sometimes miss parts of that first year (that whole sleep part not included), I also would not want to go back to that.  This second year has already been as special as the first.  It is amazing to see how much she is capable of doing now and what all she enjoys.  She has already become a pro at going down the slide and getting on/off the couch by herself.  She also loves to dance, play in the sandbox, and "use" the computer.  All this in just a year's time...Crazy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good that you can realize now how special each moment with your little one is . This way you will both hold dear these memories.

Tracy said...

I completely agree with you, my son is almost 16 months and it seems like it couldn't be that long ago that he fell asleep so easily in my arms. Now he's a wiggler too and I cherish the moments he'll sit still and cuddle with me! You don't really understand how fast a year passes until you have a child, and how much someone can change in such a short period of time! It really is amazing!

M Lee said...

Isn't it crazy how fast that time goes? I just watch a video clip from the first week LO was home before she could really hold her head up even. It is kind of bizarre to look at her eyes and know that this is the same girl playing right next to me trying to get at the computer.