Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bye Bye Po Po and Kung Kung

For about the past three months my in-laws have been staying with us.  I was very excited for them to come because it would be the first time they got to meet their granddaughter in person.  They have seen each other over Skype, but that is not the same as being able to hug her.  When they did get here, I was a little overwhelmed by the changes in our routine and always having them around.  Things got somewhat easier the longer they were here, but I am sure it is always hard to have house guests for that long.  They left to go back to Malaysia on Friday.  Since then we have been trying to readjust to not having them here.  I found myself missing them almost immediately.  I loved to watch them interact with their granddaughter and vice versa.  She had learned a lot when they were here.  I think she says more Chinese words than she does English.  She also learned how to pretend to nap by lying down and snoring, and how to show something is good by giving a thumbs up (or in her case a pointer finger up).  The hardest part of having half our family oversees is that we have to be away from one side or the other for long periods of time, and due to the distance and cost of travel it isn't like we can schedule a week or two each year to visit or see them at holidays.  Thankful, our little one does at least get to interact with her grandparents over Skype.  This experience has also made me more appreciative of what my husband gives up to stay here with us.

1 comment:

sstein said...

I totally agree with having in-laws in a different zip code. It is very difficult to travel and spend equal time at each side of the family. I don't quite have the same situation with in-laws overseas but I do understand how hard it is for my husband to see his parents 2 hours away. I think Skype is a great way to keep in touch.