Regarding article Mom's Extra Pregnancy Pounds May Raise Child's Heart Risks:
I find this article disturbing because I did gain a LOT of weight during my pregnancy; especially, during the last couple months. I had every intention of keeping up with my exercises and eating healthy all the way through, but once PUPP (a pregnancy rash) kicked in early on in my pregnancy, I was in too much pain and not getting enough sleep to exercise. I do however wonder what else was factored into this study. Did they study the differences when the mother was able to loose the weight again versus not being able to? Mother's that do not return to a healthy weight may have an increase risk of children that have weight issues due to passing on bad habits or not showing their children the importance of being healthy. This could definitely have an impact on a child's heart health. While a mother who actively tries to loose the weight and stay healthy in turn teaches their child through example how to stay healthy. I have not yet worked off all my pregnancy weight, but I definitely will. I know how important it is for my physical/mental health, my child's health, and the quality of life for my family. I love being outdoors and active which is much more enjoyable when I'm fit. Plus I, of course, feel better about myself then too.
Thursday, June 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I share your concern; I was a pound-packer-onner and a current working-on-losing-itter. Studies are funny when they use the word 'may', as in: an activity MAY cause such and such. I do believe modeling a behavior has a huge impact for a child, but at the same time, that child will grow to be an adult who can make their own choices, and create their own healthy/unhealthy habits... there's enough info out there to support those decisions, and of course the wild cards of genetics and epigenetics affect a person's health.
Thanks for your insight Mary Kay. We'll loose weight and model healthy behaviors together.
Post a Comment